Largest Gold Standard CDM project in the world
On January 13th, the Gold Standard Foundation approved and registered Tricorona's Kulun 201MW Wind power project, the largest Gold Standard CDM project registered to date.
“The requirements for a carbon offset project to obtain Gold Standard CDM status are very tough,” says Teresa Nord Vieglins, Tricorona Carbon Asset Management Singapore, “and we are very proud to have satisfied these requirements.”
The wind powr project, located in Inner Mongolia, China, is expected to generate 500,000 GS Certified Emission Reductions per year, making the project the largest Gold Standard registered CDM project in the world.
All of Tricorona’s Gold Standard projects are also registered Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) projects. The CDM is a market based mechanism defined in the Kyoto Protocol that allows emission reducing projects in developing countries to earn certified emission reduction credits. The CDM is administered and overseen by the UNFCCC (United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change).
The Gold Standard certification scheme – endorsed by over sixty NGOs, including WWF and Greenpeace International – was designed to ensure that carbon credits are not only real and verifiable but that the project activities make a measurable impact on sustainable and social development in local communities. Only projects within the fields of renewable energy and energy efficiency are eligible for Gold Standard certification.
“The demand for Gold Standard carbon credits has increased remarkably in recent years, and this newly approved project will enable us to continue deliver what our customers are demanding: the highest quality of carbon offsets that can be found,” says Per Egstam CEO of Tricorona Climate Partner, Sweden.
Singapore March 11th, 2011
- Interview with Gareth Philipps - Chair of the Project Developers Forum
- COP19 in Warsaw
- Tricorona Climate Partner helping to make IPCC meeting in Stockholm carbon neutral
- Start of validation for Rwandan renewable energy programme
- Tricorona adds project in Bangladesh to its portfolio
- Tricorona registers a water purification PoA in Tanzania
- Milestones reached in the development of a Renewable Energy PoA in Rwanda
- Minister Lena Ek visits China Beijing Environmental Exchange.
- Tricorona's CDM installed wind capacity now bigger than the entire Swedish wind power sector
- Climate and Water: Starting today: World Water Week in Stockholm
- Tricorona registered solar CDM Programme in Thailand
- China to lead in emissions trading
- How the fossil fuel lobby is happy when green fights against green
- Tricorona named Best Project Developer Kyoto Project Credits
- Tricorona first to develop CDM in Senegal
- Largest gold standard CDM project in the world
- Tricorona voted Best Project Developer in the prestigious Carbon Market Awards